Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend 2009

Dad was a veteran of World War II and the Korean Conflict. He and Mom were/are the generation that has been named "The Greatest Generation." I missed draft by only a few numbers (for those who can remember the draft) and was never called upon to serve my country in the armed forces. I am forever thankful for all who sacrifice to serve their country in this way. I salute you in this post.

I always watch CSPAN on Memorial Day to observe the ceremony at Arlington Cemetery. I have been on those hallowed grounds on a couple of occasions and each time I was deeply moved. I believe at some point in the weekend Americans should take some time to honor those who have given the the last full measure of devotion to their country on battlefields far from home.

Today, Mom, Sandra, and I, will attend a ceremony at Floral Haven Cemetery in which Dad's name will be read as a veteran who has passed on in the last year. The moment will be a poignant one. Many others will have moments like that this weekend.

God bless those who gave all and those who served with honor then came home and showed the rest of us the true meaning of valor and character.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Good thoughts, thanks.