Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Unwanted Visitors

When Debbie and I purchased our lot at the lake in 1999 we had dreams of building a home where our friends could come and sit on the porch or in the house and visit with us and enjoy the view. Little did we know that more than the normal insects that every homeowner has to battle there are two especially ugly species who love to make their home with us.



The first is scorpions. Both, Debbie and I have our birthdays in early November so this is our zodiac sign. That does not make us love these guys any more. When we first moved in the scorpions were prolific. They were everywhere! We kept our shoes on most of the time. We have never been stung by one but they are frightening to see crawling across the floor.

Yesterday evening, after mowing the yard and washing the porch in the heat, I had showered and cooled down an was dozing under the air conditioner and ceiling fan. Suddenly Maverick was screaming (like a girl - I like to tell him)! When I awoke I saw him and Debbie pointing at the floor and looked there myself. There, wiggling and squirming was our next species who likes to crawl out from the baseboards from time to time - a centipede.



The scorpions and centipedes are quite juicy. So, to avoid stains on the carpet I will kick them to a tiled floor to squish them under sole of shoe and snuff out their miserable life. However, yesterday I had no closed toe shoe handy - only my flip-flops. So, Maverick grabbed a glue trap and handed it to me. We keep glue traps laying around in strategic spots next to the baseboards. These capture spiders, scorpions and centipedes on a regular basis. Although the number of all these have gone down considerably in the 7 years we have lived here and with quarterly visits from Skip Davis from Davis Family Pest Control.

I chased that centipede under the couch - I rolled the couch forward to see where it went. He squirmed under the surround sound bass box - I turned it on its side to send the critter scrambling to the middle of the room. He paused. I tossed the glue trap onto him and stepped on the back of the trap to make sure he was firmly in the grasp. Then, I picked it up, took him outside and crushed him on the rocks. Then, I threw him away. Before crushing him I took his photograph. People just don't believe these guys until they see them!



No comments: