Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Friday, October 31, 2008

My Halloween Message

"The Devil made me do it!"
- Geraldine (Flip Wilson)
----------------------------------------
Halloween is a strange day, when you think about it. I don't know how or why the tradition started (and really couldn't care less). I loved it as a kid but as an adult I find it strange that we let monsters knock on our door and take our candy. In the business world we would call that extortion.

I remember one year dressing as a hobo and to give me a 5 o'clock shadow my mom rubbed a chunk of charcoal on my face. Today that would be abuse and she would be arrested.

When dressing as Superman one year, my cape was a white tea towel with a red "S" on it. How did my mom get by with that? My sister thought the "S" stood for stupid. And I wore blue jeans - not blue tights. I think I am glad about that. I do know I wouldn't wear blue tights today.

These days, kids wear costumes which they will wear only once costing more than I spend for a shirt I will wear for years (until my wife sneaks it out of the closet and into the Goodwill bag). My grandson tried on his Spiderman outfit the one Halloween....and wore it for 2 minutes. Tonight he actually chose NOT to go trick or treating. This is because he gets candy and goodies on a normal basis.

Back in the good old days you got popcorn balls, candied apples, brownies, and all kinds of homemade goodies. Then the world began to grow scary. Nowadays everything has to be hermetically sealed, x-rayed, and parent-tested. I am pretty sure Snickers are unhealthy for kids so those are always confiscated by me before my wife hands them out.

If you are caught eating all your kids' candy use the quote above. After all it is Halloween! Hope yours is happy!

1 comment:

Dennis said...

You wrote .. I do know I wouldn't wear blue tights today.

That's using an imporper verb "wouldn't" ... the proper verb in this case would be COULDN'T