Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Make New Friends But Keep The Old

I took my 2005 Sentra to Superwrench today for its 100,000 mile check up. That gave me the opportunity to spend a good part of the day visiting with a couple of old friends. Mike Heaps operates a sign business out of a building where his parents, brother and he had a Daylight Donut shop for 30 years. Larry Jenkins and his family have been successful in all kinds of businesses. We gathered at Mike's place for a some good conversation today.

Larry, Mike and I have known each other since 1964 - 46 years is nothing to take for granted. Growing up in the 60s and early 70s was a lot different than today. It was a safer time and we ran the neighborhood and surrounding blocks like maniacs. What a great time we had riding bikes, lawnmowers, motor cycles, and then cars. There were some drag racing on 91st around Mingo and Memorial and then north on Hwy 169 from Admiral Blvd down to the Owasso area. It is a wonder we are alive today from all the the fires we started, fireworks we blew up, and stunts we pulled with motorized vehicles.

One time I pretended to be Larry's dad, P.A. Jenkins to call the school to get Larry out of trouble. Of course, we got caught. After that escapade P.A. called me Mr. Jenkins to the day he died.

Another time, as adolescents we sneaked up to a construction site to smoke some cigarettes we had obtained some way. We got caught and it turns out we were smoking in a shed where gasoline and diesel was stored for the machinery at the site!

I could tell some uglier stories but I would not want to change any one's angelic image of me. Suffice it to say we have been down some crazy roads together. I was privileged to perform the wedding ceremony of both these guys 25 and 27 years ago.

I don't get to see these guys much anymore. The two times we had seen each other prior to today was in 2009 at my dad's funeral and at Larry's dad's funeral earlier this year. Last week Mike had a heart attack and had some stints placed in his chest to open the blood flow. But any time we get together it is like we have never been apart. I love those guys!

Time marches on. But for a few hours it stood still today as we reminisced about old times.

As the old song said, " Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."

Today was a GOLDEN day.

No comments: