Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Three Year Anniversary of My Dad's Heavenly Birthday.

Dad's 87th birthday - February 2007
   It has been three years today since Dad said goodbye to us and rolled over to say good morning to God (01/29/2009). I can solemnly swear there is not one day that goes by without me thinking of him. At any time remembrances can make me a little sad, bring a smile or chuckle, cause me to walk a little straighter, or think about what Heaven will be like.

   One of those chuckles came a few days ago. Maverick had a basketball game in Catoosa. As we made our way from the pond to the game we drove past the Port of Catoosa. I was reminded of a time before the port was a port. Dad would take my friend Mike Heaps and I in the 1965 Ford Falcon station wagon and we would head to that area of the county. Mike and I would take along our Daisy BB rifles.

   Once we were out on the narrow country roads Mike and I would get to sit on the tailgate of the car and Dad would slowly drive up and down those roads while Mike and I took shots at tin cans, bottles, birds, tree trunks, signs and the like. I am pretty sure if this took place today the three of us would have our faces on every news service website and be in our own episode of 20/20. Dad would be quoted as saying, "I wasn't going more that 10 MPH and with the back end of the car bouncing up and down those boys couldn't hit the broad side of a barn!"

   I am very proud of my dad on so many levels. He was a sincere Christian, devoted husband and father, a patriot (serving in two of our nations conflicts) and a honest employee. The standard he set for me and my sisters was so very high and noble. I still gauge my progress in life by looking at his shadow.

We miss you, Dad!

"God only cries for the living,
'Cause its the living that are left to carry on.
And all the angels up in Heaven,
They're not grieving because they're gone.
There's a smile on their faces,
 'Cause they're in a better place than
They've ever known!
God only cries for the living,
'Cause its the living that are so far from home."

1 comment:

Trisha said...

You always have such good thoughts and a good way with words, Robb. Love you.