Okay its not THE Pond - as some call the ocean. And it is not just A Pond - as in smaller than a lake. It is a lake! I enjoy living on it and spending time on my back porch listening to music, gazing at the lake and pondering.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For

For years now, early weekend mornings have been MY time. I am an early riser - coming by that honestly from Dad. I can remember, as a teenager, getting up for a glass of water or something at 4-6 am and dad would be in the living room reading. At that time I thought he was a little weird for being up so early. But as I became an adult I found myself with the same tendency. I find these early mornings to be opportunity to read, work on the computer, channel-surf without repercussion from anyone and to sit on the back porch listening to my music while sipping coffee.

When Amber was a teenager I used to give her a hard time about sleeping in until noon. I told her that she did not have to get up as early as me but she did not need to waste a half day sleeping. I even told her one time about the beauty of the early morning and watching the sun rise. And that I wished the people in the house would enjoy that. But she never learned the beauty of the early morning and still sleeps in to noon most days - and she's 29!

Debbie has a different routine when she gets up. I like to "ramp up" to my day with the above mentioned routines. When Debbie gets up, she hits the ground running. She comes into the living room carrying a load of laundry, a dust rag, or items needing to be "put up." She might go straight to making breakfast. But she does not get up until 7 or so on the weekend. Now...don't you get on to me- there are times I make breakfast too.

Maverick is now picking up the habit of early rising. No matter how late I allow him to stay up on Friday night he will still get up at 5 to 6. Then, he wants to watch his cartoons, visit about his dreams from the night, the football game we watched the night before, or even to wrestle me! I try to be polite and friendly and a good grandpa to pay attention. Even as I have been typing this he is patiently waiting so we can throw the nerf football across the room.

I am trying very hard to keep from wishing he would sleep in on weekends.

1 comment:

Dennis said...

I too am an early riser .. coffee taste best before sunrise. The Warden wakes up pretty early also ........ it's just best to NOT talk to her until 8 or 9 if you value living!